Sunday, April 22, 2012

Taking a trip down memory lane....

                                       Original house on the farm - Dad & Mom bought the place in 1975.
                                       It isn't visible in the photo, but there was an old log cabin to the right
                                       of this house. It was moved to another location & is still intact today!
                                       The old smoke house on the property still had slabs of meat hanging
                                        in it when Dad & Mom moved in!
                                          This is from the fall of 1978. Dad had decided with a family
                                          of five children, he needed a little more room and was going to
                                          put a basement under the old house. After digging out for the
                                          foundation, he found extensive damage already had been done
                                          by termites. Dad & Mom decided it would be too expensive to
                                          repair all the damaged wood plus add a basement. So Dad began
                                          to build a new house a few feet from this one.
                                           Fall of 1978- building walls for basement of new house.
                                     
                                          I was able to scan this note that Mom had written as a caption
                                          for the picture of the basement. (Made me cry the first time I
                                          read it)
                                                    
                                            
                                         1987 - Getting ready to finish the roof.   Mom wrote 
                                         that it took Dad ten months to lay the bricks on the
                                         house.                                   
                                             1987 ~  New house and original barn. Barn was not in
                                             very good shape by this time. However, the cows still
                                             came into the bottom part of the barn. 

                                             I will try to find a few more old pictures to show the old barn
                                             being pushed in. 
Posted by: Angie

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I don't remember ever seeing the old house or barn. It looks like it was a pretty farm house on the outside. And I didn't know it took that long to build the house!

    ReplyDelete