Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cattle auction

Dad and I spent Saturday at our friend John's farm for a long dairy auction. It lasted 6 hours. We were able to purchase 5 cows, and 1 calf in our price range. That was quite a surprise, as these are registered Brown Swiss cows. We had fun, or at least I did. Shawn and our children weren't able to go, they stayed home and worked on plumbing our new electric hot water heater. Tad wasn't able to go either, he went to an equipment auction where he was selling 4 pieces of equipment. Dad and I thought we'd try bringing our calf home with us in Tad's car. Her name is Tomorrow. We tried having her ride in the back seat by herself. That sort of made her a little antsy so I sat in the backseat with her. That worked for an hour, then her feet must have went to sleep on her. She got hot, and started lowing(low mooing). I called Tad, he was home from the auction and met us with the stock trailer. That made both of us feel better! I let her suck my fingers for almost 45 minutes, ended up with a bruise at the base of my finger! Tad said this is about the craziest thing Dad has ever tried. It may have been, but it saved a 2 hour fuel bill hauling the trailer there.
Our car ride home

Noah meeting Tomorrow

Zach meeting her while she sucks my fingers a little more.

Josh's turn.

Finally Hannah meeting her.

Introducing Tomorrow.


Introducing Francine, one of the cows we purchased.

Some of the girls at the sale.

Posted by: Dora

No comments:

Post a Comment